It’s chili season and we have been diving ALL IN in our house. I’ve probably made about five different versions so far this year. To be honest, I rarely make my chili exactly the same. I tweak and adjust depending on what’s in my pantry and what I’m in the mood for. Sometimes I want more of a fiery kick, sometimes I want something hearty yet light, sometimes I stick in some unexpected veggies I have lying around. But I always come back to incorporating pumpkin. There’s something I love so much about the hearty, yet silky warmth it brings to a chili.
So when I call this the PERFECT pumpkin turkey chili, I mean it. This was so satisfying and has been the perfect pot of fall goodness to take us through the week. Dinner on Sunday and lunch for us all a few times. Doesn’t get better, friends. Bookmark this one because you’ll want this on repeat. It has me thinking I may just verge from my typical chili variety cycle and make this again and again.
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can fire roasted chiles, undrained
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can pink kidney beans
- a good splash of beer (preferably something a bit heavier like an IPA or a pumpkin beer works well)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp Simply Organics Sweet & Smoky Umami Blend
- Brown turkey in a large pot with some EVOO.
- Add in spices and stir together.
- Add in onion, garlic, bell pepper and diced chiles and cook for another 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Add in pumpkin puree and stir to combine.
- Pour in a good splash of beer and chicken broth
- Add in diced tomatoes and beans and simmer together for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado and sliced jalapeno if you like a little more heat.