With this weekend the cue for all things red, white and blue I thought it would be festive to FINALLY share one of our favorite go-to breakfasts that just so happens to be a perfect way to ring in the 4th of July! These overnight oats are easy, nutritious, filling family crowd-pleasers that my kiddos ask me to make almost every night (not kidding). They’re best in peak berry season (which is now) but they’re honestly great all-year round. And for those who debate this— yes, we eat our overnight oats cold! Great for summer— but if you prefer a warm breakfast, you can easily pop these in the microwave for a bit after stirring.
Here’s what your mason jars will look like after sitting in the fridge overnight. The almond milk and fruit soak the oats to ‘cook’ them and make them soft and flavorful.
I’ve tried overnight oats a bunch of different ways, and these are the two favorites I’ve landed on that we keep coming back to again and again. What I love to do is make one or two jars of each so we can mix and match in the morning. But, the best thing about this basic recipe is that it’s easily customizable by switching out the fruit, nuts, and sweetener to what you like best!
Stir stir stir! The better combined they are the more every bite is the perfect bite.
Overnight Oats Two Ways
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats (not instant/quick cooking), divided in two 2 heaping tbsp chia seeds, divided in two
- 1 banana, sliced and divided in two
- large handful blueberries (about 3/4 cup)
- large handful raspberries (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 heaping tbsp natural creamy peanut butter
- 1-2 tbsp pecan pieces
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (coconut milk works too), divided in two
1. In one mason jar (with a lid), pour in the following ingredients in this order: 1/2 cup of the old fashioned oats, 1 tbsp of the chia seeds, 1/2 of the sliced banana, blueberries and peanut butter. Pour 1/2 cup almond milk over top, close lid and refrigerate overnight.
2. In second mason jar, pour in the following ingredients in this order: 1/2 cup of the old fashioned oats, 1 tbsp of the chia seeds, 1/2 of the sliced banana, raspberries, pecan pieces and honey. Pour 1/2 cup almond milk over top, close lid and refrigerate overnight.
3. In the morning, stir together well and enjoy!
All photos via Lauren Anzevino.